When I was reading this, I was simply smiling for the entire post!
Everyday since some time ago, when they ask me to hire people... I'm looking for something mythical in nature.
- You need to know HTML. You need to know everything about it. Everything.
- You need to know CSS so well you’ll regret it. You just added a negative margin-top to a link and guess what, the users of certain browsers can no longer click them, despite the fact that you gave it a z-index of a million and you can clearly see the damn thing.
- You need to know the browsers. You need to know that IE won’t let you convert this string: “<meta></meta>” into DOM elements by setting the innerHTML of a DIV. And forget about injecting it in the HEAD to turn it into a DOM element, because that thing is read only.
- You need to be decent at design You need to be able to interview a user, a client, a stranger, an expert, whatever, and ask them the right questions to be able to devise an experience that solves their problems. Not just the ones you can imagine, but the ones they don’t know how to describe.
- And then there’s about a million other things that you need. You need to understand Git. Git is amazing.